I had a lot of people wondering about the recipe I used for Hudson's cake smash/birthday cake! Since we aren't giving H any dairy or wheat or refined sugar just yet, this cake is free of all of those! Yet honestly its still really tasty! So here is the recipe….
1 cup coconut flour (sifted)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
10 large eggs
1 cup avocado oil (you can use coconut oil or veggie oil if you'd like)
1 cup pure maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp lemon juice
3 cans coconut milk
Makes two 6" round cakes
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees F, grease pans.
2. In a large bowl sift all of the dry ingredients together and set aside. Separate 4 of the eggs, yolks from the whites and set whites aside.
3. In another large bowl whisk together the 6 whole eggs, 4 egg yolks, oil, maple syrup, lemon juice and vanilla. Then whisk in the dry ingredients mixture until completely smooth.
4. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and gently fold them into the batter.
5. Dived batter into each prepared pan and bake 25-30 minutes. The cake has sort of a spongy texture so I could tell they were done when I lightly pushed on the top and it bounced back out. Allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting. I set mine in the fridge over night wrapped in plastic wrap.
6. The "icing". You want to put the cans of coconut milk in the fridge over night or longer so that the cream can set on the top. You want to scoop that hard cream off the top and leave the water out. Scoop the cream into your mixing bowl and whip it up on low until it is nice and fluffy! There you have it…Icing!
7. Keep the iced cake in the fridge until you are ready to serve
Honestly, this cake was such a good idea! I knew I was giving Hudson something healthy, yet delicious and he LOVED it, especially the icing!